GAPS Upcoming Events
Upcoming Parkinson's Events in the Local Georgetown Area
NOTE: This page lists only special events and major meetings or get-togethers. Recurring events such as classes can be found on our calendar-click here.
- Wednesday. February 19th 2-3:30 pm - GADS (DBS) - Georgetown Area Parkinson’s DBS Support Group Meeting, meetings begin promptly at 2pm
CONTACT: Judy Mayo firstname.lastname@example.org 512-943-9084
SPEAKER: Dhruve Jeevan, MD, neurosurgeon with Central Texas Brain & Spine, will answer questions on DBS Surgery. Specifically, he will talk about possible problems with DBS, what procedures to avoid, and new DBS developments. Bring your questions! All are welcome! Refreshments provided.
- Thursday, February 20th 10-11:30 am - FREE Seniors Living Smarter Seminar on “How Much Freedom Do You Give Up with Independent Living?” Our expert panelists, residents of independent living communities, will share their experiences and respond to your questions about life in independent living communities. Join us at First Presbyterian Church Georgetown to get answers to questions and issues that are vexing as you consider the possibility of moving to an independent living community. Register online at www.SeniorsLivingSmarter.com/seminar or call 512-862-7339 and leave a message.
- Saturday, February 22nd, 10am to 12:30pm - Austin CurePSP Support Group
This group focuses on families and patients diagnosed with PSP, CBD or MSA.
10a to 10:30 Coffee Social)
PLACE: The Isle at Cedar Ridge, 2200 S. Lakeline Blvd, Cedar Park 78613 https://www.integratedseniorlifestyles.com/senior-living/tx/cedar-park/isle-at-cedar-ridge/
CONTACT: Contact Judi Nudelman at 512-301-2268
SPEAKER: Katherine Perks, UT Neuroscience Student, Katherine Perks.
In 2019 Katherine (with faculty mentor, Jon Pierce) was recipient of CurePSP's URSO Student Grant for research on "Identifying the Genetic Basis for Repair of Motor Freezing in Dopamine Deficient Animals". February 12th and 13th Katherine will present this research via poster session at the Tau2020 Global Conference in Washington DC ( https://tauconsortium.org/initiative/tau2020-globalconference/ ). On February 22nd, Katherine will share the details of her research project and also information she gained from attending the Tau2020 Global Conference.
- Thursday February 27 3-5 pm, GAPS – Georgetown Area Parkinson’s Support Group Meeting:
for EVERYONE ~ patients, caregivers/care partners, family, friends, and health care!
meeting begins promptly at 3pm
PLACE: First Baptist Church, 1333 W University Ave, Georgetown
CONTACT: Mary Jane Berry email@example.com 512-240-4167
SPEAKER: Erik Krause, MD https://healthcare.ascension.org/doctors/1194131888/erik-krause-austin-tx?&x
TOPIC: “The Gut and Parkinson’s Disease”
- Wednesdays, March 4th-May 27th, 1:30-3 pm - Alzheimer's: The Science of Prevention Series – This is a 12-week series class every Wednesday at 1:30p to 3p at the Worship Place, Sun City campus. This will be information on “brain health” into an old age. Join us at your convenience. Contact: 512-869-1310 http://www.twptx.org/event/1720213-2020-04-15-alzheimers-the-science-of-prevention-series/
- Friday, March 6th - Medtronic DBS Lunch and Learn! "DBS Information and Education" on first Friday of the month. Please contact Damon for more information ~ Damon Dennett firstname.lastname@example.org (702) 354-4100.
- Saturday, March 28th – Plummer Movement Disorder 2020 Parkinson's Disease Symposium! “Save the date ~ more information coming”!
- Saturday, April 4th at 6pm - CTAP Gala! This is our GAPS fundraiser…do you know any sponsors? Let’s help CTAP raise the funds for us! More info coming!
- Saturday, April 18th – GAPS Parkinson’s Walk Fundraiser at San Gabriel Park, Bob Gessler is our captain ~ more info coming!
- Monday, April 20 - Vibrant Living Event —This Senior Empowerment Event is a one-day, one-stop event where seniors, caregivers, and families can gain practical advice and learn about a multitude of resources that make planning and decision making easier so that aging doesn’t get in the way of living your best life. Registration fee is only $6 per person and includes lunch ~ Register now: https://vibrantlivinggtx.org/register-now
- April 23rd at 3-5p – GAPS Health Vendor Fair! This is a really great opportunity and a FUN event! Calling all vendors and service providers to join us! It is FREE to all vendors however; we do ask for a door prize! Contact and Register with: Mary Jane email@example.com PLUS: Michael J Fox Foundation representative coming to Georgetown for our GAPS meeting!
- Sunday, April 26th at 9am Austin Beerworks, 3001 Industrial Terrace, Austin - The 2nd Annual Austin Fox Trot 5K Run/Walk for Parkinson’s Research— **Until March 15,use code early bird to receive 15% off at registration** We have a GAPS team https://foxtrot.michaeljfox.org/austin/GAPS-Fundraiser-forMJFox-Research and you can sign up to run/walk or just donate! Give your all from start to finish: 100 percent of proceeds will go directly to high-impact programs to speed development of better treatments and a cure for Parkinson’s disease.
- Thursday, May 14, 2020 - Pflugerville Seniors Conference at the Pflugerville Community Church
- Saturday, May 16 - "Parkinson's Foundation 2020 Care Partner Summit" ~ Live Video Streaming" in Georgetown, Texas. - More info coming soon! https://www.parkinson.org/events/2020/CPS/ViewingParties
- Saturday, August 22, 2020 - "Striking a Balance Caregiver Conference" in Austin
- Saturday, September 19, 2020 - Williamson County Caregiver Conference at the Wingate by Wyndham Round Rock Hotel & Conference Center