GAPS Caregivers/Care Partners
NOTICE: GAPS Caregivers/Care Partners “in-person” meetings are suspended during COVID-19, however we are “ZOOMing”, using the ZOOM platform to meet monthly at our usual time!
DATE: 2nd Thursday of the month (except in December, no meeting)
TIME: 2pm to 3:30 pm. Zoom meeting opens at 1:30
- “ZOOM online meetings” in the comfort of your home. To learn more about ZOOM and instructions on how to join, click here:
- “In-person” meetings are held at 3600 Williams Dr, Georgetown, The Reserve at Georgetown (formerly Autumn Leaves) facility in the library. (again, currently suspended)
- Registration link will be in the Monday GAPS email that goes out on the 2nd Monday of the month. Also, you may receive an email from Jeanette earlier that will also have the link to register.
- All attendees will have to register for the GAPS Caregiver’s Support Group meeting and will be send a confirmation email with the link and the passcode. (NEW security!)
- This is a “meeting” …not a “webinar”!
- This meeting will NOT be recorded and it will NOT be LIVE Facebook stream.
- All registered attendees will be in meeting room until we let them in.
- All registered attendees will be muted until we (host and co-host) ask them to unmute.
GAPS Caregiver Admin: Jeanette Larson firstname.lastname@example.org
UPCOMING GAPS Caregiver Meetings for 2021: Please register in advance. (once you have registered it is good for the year however, be sure to put the dates in your calendar!)
Online meetings start at 2:00pm, Register:
Jan 14, 2021
Feb 11, 2021
Mar 11, 2021
Apr 8, 2021
May 13, 2021
Jun 10, 2021
Jul 8, 2021
Aug 12, 2021
Sep 9, 2021
Oct 14, 2021
Nov 11, 2021
818 9418 3921
- Kristen Neff, “Self Compassion: https://self-compassion.org
- Zarit Burden Interview - Caregiver burden
- The Elizabeth Dole Foundation is partnering with the Department of Veterans Affairs and CareLinx in-home care professionals to offer free respite care to caregivers of disabled veterans. For more info click here: https://www.military.com/benefits/veterans-health-care/2020/08/05/elizabeth-dole-foundation-gives-caregivers-of-disabled-veterans-time-off.html?ESRC=mr_200810.nl
- A book for caregivers: No Saints Around Here: A Caregiver's Day by Susan Allen Toth. Description: No saint, as she often reminds the reader, Toth found solace in documenting her days as a caregiver. The result, written in brief, episodic bursts during the final eighteen months of her husband's life, has a rare and poignant immediacy.
Order at Amazon: https://amzn.to/2ClVed1
- Anticipatory Grief is feeling grief and loss while being a caregiver. This article provides some caregiver tips: https://www.webmd.com/palliative-care/caregiver-grief-and-bereavement#1
- AGE of Central Texas - has an extensive online list of at-home activities and caregiver resources at http://www.TinyURL.com/AGE-at-home-activities
- Caregiver’s Helpline - PD specialists answer all Parkinson’s and caregiver questions, provide emotional support and refer health care professionals. Call 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) or email Helpline@parkinson.org.
- Parkinson’s Caregiver’s Guidebook - This comprehensive guidebook is for caregivers at every stage of PD. It contains tips and tools to make the caregiving journey as productive as possible. Read or Order and be sure to check this out also: Check Out Our Top 10 Essential Caregiver Resources
- Avoid Caregiver Burnout - Compassion Fatigue - "I'm at my breaking point... what do I do?" is a common question from AFA Helpline callers right now. Excellent video from AFA social worker, Kara Rogers, LMSW, shares tips and guidance on how to spot the warning signs of caregiver burnout and what to do if you're noticing them. Great 5 minute video: WATCH VIDEO HERE Alzheimer’s Help-Line #866-232-8484
- Caregiver Conversations Video – This 12-minute video has Celebrity Caregiver Clips and Tips from Clay Walker, Della Reese, Joan Lunden and Henry Winkler, also, the video includes Dealing with our Loved Ones UTI Challenges and important advice for Family Caregivers during Covid-19 caregiver.com/articles/celebrity-interviews/caregiving-conversations
- During a recent Georgetown Lewy Body Dementia support group meeting, Anticipatory Grief was discussed. Please find notes below that may be helpful to you in working through this sensitive topic.
See also the "GETTING HELP & INFO" page on this website for more info!